The National Farmer's Leadership Centre
National Farmers’ Leadership Centre is a training Centre under Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries and is located at Kapiringisa, in Kamengo Sub-county in Mpigi District, approximately 50km from Kampala on Masaka road.
The Centre was established under support by the Republic of South Korea to transfer Korea’s technology to Uganda, but most important to transfer Korea’s model of rural development to Uganda. The Saemaul Undong (New Village Movement) was based on Diligence, Self-help and Cooperation to stimulate rural economic transformation and is also founded on mind-set change training philosophy of Canaan Global Leadership Centre that focused on lifestyle and personality transformation. This enabled Korea to transform its economy from one of the poorest to one of the most powerful economic powers to dat. Uganda sought to share and implement this experience.
The NFLC was officially launched on 30th May 2016 by HE. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni of Uganda and his counterpart HE Park Geun Hye, the President of the Republic of Korea as the first Agricultural leadership Centre not only in Uganda but in Africa.
The mandate of National Farmers” Leadership Centre is to overcome poverty through mind-set transformation of farmer leaders, civic and political leaders and other categories of leaders, through mind-set change, and advanced agricultural technology transfer.
A Centre of impeccable reputation, promoting development of farming communities through training in mind-set change, leadership and appropriate technologies”.
“To empower Farmers and Leaders with agricultural knowledge and skills while inculcating the ideology of diligence, service, sacrifice, integrity and self-reliance for sustainable development”.
Patriotism: We shall serve the country with selflessness where the interests of the country are greater than those of individuals.
NFLC is guided by the following core values:
Professionalism: We shall adhere to the code of conduct, high degree of competence and best practices.
Teamwork: We shall promote co-operation among key stakeholders to improve cohesion, shared community goals and integral development.
Learning Organization: We embrace continuous improvement and learning through experiences, successes and even failures. We translate lessons learnt into improved service delivery
Diligence: We shall be committed to improving personal productivity through hard work.
Service Orientation: We shall develop and implement needs-based training Programs that are tailored to client demands
- Transform mindsets and empower farmer leaders, civic and political leadership at all levels of governance.
- Raise leaders who understand the importance of labor and work as a diligent service in the community and on site.
- Raise leaders who will lead by example to others by working, serving and sacrificing first.
- Raise leaders with a passion and belief that "We Can Do It" ourselves.
- Demonstrate a self-sustainable and replicable model farm.
The core functions of National Farmers” Leadership Centre are derived from its mandate. These are:
- To identify training needs tailored to client demands;
- To develop and deliver needs-based and practical trainings to farmers, civic and other leaders in areas of mindset transformation and agricultural technology;
- To transform mindsets and empower farmer leaders, civic and political leadership at all levels of governance;
- To raise leaders who will be role models to others by working, serving and sacrificing first;
- To raise leaders with a passion and belief in self-reliance, i.e. “We can do it ourselves”; and
- To develop and operate a self-sustaining demonstration and replicable model farm.
NFLC is headed by a Principal and has qualified instructors responsible for training and managing crop and livestock activities. In addition to basic training and in order to improve mindset change and technical knowledge, instructors underwent specialized training in Korea which involved training on mindset change, SMU principles and agricultural technology. The trainings also included rural community transformation concepts and models. However, NFLC maintains a pool of experienced and trained specialists from Government MDAs, Private sector and experienced practicing farmers and professionals in specific disciplines so as to meet client specific training demands.
An efficient and effective operation system of training program is a very important function of NFLC since it’s a first center of its kind not only in Uganda but also in Africa focusing on mind-set change and community transformation basing on Saemaul Undong philosophy. The training programs originate from the clients’ demand; however, the principal of NFLC is obligated to create training needs for the target beneficiaries. Various programs have been developed, however, the mind-set transformation, Saemaul Undong leadership, basic agricultural technology and development lectures shall be common to all programs.
NFLC Training and Capacity Building Philosophy
NFLC is committed to building the capacity and raising pioneers throughout the country with the “can do” spirit/Saemaul Undong concept as part of national development intervention in the agriculture sector for socio economic transformation. Our trainings and capacity building philosophy encompasses the following:
- NFLC trainings focus on mind-set change, which is hinged on the 3- virtues of diligence, self-help and cooperation to overcome the sense of fatalism and defeatism that prevails in the rural communities, work environments and also to pave way for the country’s successful take-off.
- Programs developed by NFLC are needs based, and tailored depending on the clients’ demand;
- NFLC Trainers and instructors comprise mainly internal facilitators and external facilitators from the NFLC instructors’ pool.
- NFLC shall ensure that all training programs are evaluated and assessed at the level of Reaction, discussion, Learning, Behaviors and Results by the participants.
- NFLC is committed to developing the capacity of its trainers and facilitators to enable them innovate, design and deliver world class training in the dynamic circumstances.
- NFLC shall offer a follow up program for the people trained. This entails periodic check-up visits after training to monitor progress in performance within the model villages
- Farmer Leaders
- Youth and Women Leaders
- Youth and women in production
- Political and Civic leaders
- Extension staff (Agriculture, Health, Community Development, others)
- Any other organization desiring improved productivity and performance of their staff