NDP III Meat Export Opportunities
The Government of Uganda is implementing the third National Development Plan (NDPIII) 2020/21 – 2024/25 with a strategic vision, goal and theme.
NDP III Vision:
“A Transformed Ugandan Society from a Peasant to a Modern and Prosperous Country within 30 years”
NDP III Goal:
“To Increase Average Household Incomes and Improve the Quality of Life of Ugandans.”
NDP III Theme:
“Sustainable Industrialization for inclusive growth, employment and sustainable wealth creation”
Opportunities in Agro-industrialization:
NDPIII highlights 5 broad opportunities that Uganda can expect from Agro-Industrialisation (AGI) as the country embarks on its long-term aspiration of transitioning into a modern industrial economy.
First, AGI presents an avenue for promoting inclusive and equitable growth. Second, Uganda has a positive trade balance in agro-industrial products. Third, it provides an opportunity to add value to agricultural raw materials in order to promote export expansion of high value products. Fourth, it provides an opportunity for import replacement. Fifth, it provides an opportunity to address the high post-harvest losses, stabilize prices and increase household incomes.
Additionally, the backward and forward linkages between agriculture and agro-industries will necessitate that Uganda sustainably transform agro-value chains to ensure sufficient supply for domestic industries to undertake transformative sustainable manufacturing while creating employment for its citizens.
The first of 7 key results to be achieved through agro-industrialisation over the next five years is:
(i) Increase the total export value of processed agricultural commodities; coffee, tea, fish, dairy, meat and maize (and its products) from USD 1 Billion to USD 4 Billion.
One of the interventions planned for in NDP lll to contribute to the realisation of this improvement in meat, among other exports is the establishment of meat processing factories in Nakasongola and Mbarara.
This is highlighted in Intervention 3 of Objective 3 which is "To Establish new and expand existing agro-industries for processing of key agricultural commodities."
- Complete the Uganda Crane Creameries Cooperative Union in Mbarara with a capacity of 500,000 liters per day
- Complete Kayonza, Mabale and Zombo tea factories
- Establish 2 Starch and 3 ethanol processing factories from cassava in Gulu, Tororo and Lira
- Establish at least two soluble coffee plants and 20 coffee washing stations in central and eastern Uganda
- Establish five new and expand the existing 2 spinning and textile mills
- Establish 10 new garment making factories the cities
- Establish 2 new vegetable oil mills in Lira and Kiryandongo and expand the vegetable oil refinery in Jinja
- Establish 5 more fruit factories including; Masaka, Arua, Kanungu, and Bundibugyo
- Establish meat processing factories in Nakasongola and Mbarara
- Establish fish processing factories in Mukono, Jinja, Kamuli and Serere
- Complete Atiak Sugar factory and construct a farmer-based sugar factory in Busoga
- Enforce micronutrient industrial food fortification of the already identified food vehicles.
Contact details for more information about interventions already underway through the Meat Export Services Support Project (MESSP):
Project Page: https://www.agriculture.go.ug/messp/
Project Coordinator: Dr. Stephen Kajura (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Knowledge Management Office: Mr. Solomon Kalema Musisi (email@example.com)
- National Oil Palm Project Uganda
- NUFLIP PHASE 1
- The UMFSNP project
- Banana Livelihood Diversification project
- Uganda-China Cooperation
- The ACDP project
- The VODP2
- The ENRP project
- The ATAAS project
- The PISD project
- The RPLRP project
- The MOBIP project
- The Goat Export Project