Kampala, 5th March 2020. The USAID Feed the Future Enabling Environment for Agriculture Activity has been officially closed in Kampala at an event where the Ministry was represented by Hon. Vincent Bamulangaki Ssempijja the Minister for Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries and Ms. Beatrice Byarugaba the Director for Agricultural Extension Services who also represented the Permanent Secretary.
Through collaboration with EEA, the following results have been delivered:
• Development of the National Agricultural Extension Policy and its Implementation Strategy to address past shortcomings in agricultural extension service delivery and cause sustained progression of smallholder farmers from subsistence agriculture to market oriented and commercial farming.
• Launch of the National Seed Policy and Strategy to foster a pluralistic, competitive and vibrant seed system in Uganda ensuring farmers have access to quality seed, improved crop quality and expanded farm yields increasing incomes for farmers, traders, exporters and other seed sector actors.
• Development of Harmonized farmer training materials on maize, beans, coffee, poultry and aquaculture for use by extension workers to train smallholder farmers and other actors in the value chains.
• Development of the National Food and Agricultural Statistics System (NFASS) and National Agricultural Statistics Data Center.
• Development of the Climate Change Strategy for the Agriculture Sector to galvanise efforts to empower stakeholders to take measures towards the reduction of the negative impacts of climate change and variability on agriculture.
• Capacity strengthening initiatives including training of Ministry Top Policy Management, Senior Management, Inspectors and Extension workers
• Collaboration in the development of the draft Mechanization, Livestock and SPS policies.
Notes for editors
About the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries is a Ministry in the Government of Uganda charged with creating an enabling environment in the Agricultural Sector.
The Ministry formulates, reviews and implement national policies, plans, strategies, regulations and standards and enforce laws, regulations and standards along the value chain of crops, livestock and fisheries.
Vision: A competitive, profitable and sustainable agricultural sector.
Mission: To transform subsistence farming to commercial agriculture.
- To initiate the formulation and review of the policy and legal framework for the sector
- To establish and implement systems for service provision in the sector
- To strengthen and implement strategies, regulatory framework, standards, institutional structures and infrastructure for quality assurance and increased quantities of agricultural products to access and sustain local, regional and export markets
- To design and implement sustainable capacity building programmes for stakeholders in the agricultural sector through training, re-tooling, infrastructure, provision of logistics and ICT
- To develop strategies for sustainable food security
- To develop appropriate agricultural technologies for improved agricultural production, productivity and value addition through research
- To develop effective collaborative mechanisms with affiliated institutions and
- To take lead and establish a system and institutional framework for agricultural data collection, analyses, storage and dissemination to stakeholders including Uganda Bureau of Statistics.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) is made up of four Directorates including the Directorate of Crop Resources, Directorate of Animal Resources, Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services and the Directorate of Fisheries Resources each with Departments, Divisions and Partnership Projects.
The Departments of the Ministry which do not fall directly in the above include the Department of Agricultural Planning and Development, the Human Resource Department, the Department of Finance and Administration and the Department of Agricultural Infrastructure, Mechanisation and Water for Agricultural Production.
The Ministry is also made up of seven Agencies including the National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO), the National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS), Cotton Development Organisation (CDO), Dairy Development Authority (DDA), Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) and Coordinating Office for the Control of Trypanosomiasis in Uganda (COCTU) and the National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and Databank (NAGRC&DB).