Jinja, 16th July 2019 The 27th edition of the Source of the Nile National Agricultural Show which is organised by the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries in collaboration with the Uganda National Farmers’ Federation (UNFFE) has officially been opened today.
The Show was officially opened on behalf of the President by Rt. Hon. Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda the Prime Minister of Uganda who was accompanied by Hon. Vincent Ssempijja the Minister for Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries.
The Source of the Nile National Agricultural Show is the largest of its kind in Uganda and is an annual event that has been held since 1990, attracting an annual average of 350 agricultural exhibitors from different parts of the country and beyond.
It is the biggest platform for showcasing Agricultural innovations and exchange of knowledge and offers a lot of opportunities to the participants to learn of equipment and agricultural methods to apply on the farms.
The Agricultural show attracts over 300,000 guests yearly, making it the most attended show.
The ten day exhibition, organized by the Uganda National Farmers Federation (UNFFE) in partnership with Ministry of Agriculture Animal Husbandry and Fisheries (MAAIF) provides farmers, agro-industry players, service providers and other stakeholders in the agricultural sector the opportunity to showcase their innovations and technologies as well as engage in business networking.
The Show also brings together agricultural scientists, small and large commercial scale farmers and stakeholders and service providers from across the value chain.
Departments, Projects and Agencies of the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries are showcasing cutting edge research products and services provided alongside private sector players in the sector.
Notes for editors
About the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries is a Ministry in the Government of Uganda charged with creating an enabling environment in the Agricultural Sector.
The Ministry formulates, reviews and implement national policies, plans, strategies, regulations and standards and enforce laws, regulations and standards along the value chain of crops, livestock and fisheries.
Vision: A competitive, profitable and sustainable agricultural sector.
Mission: To transform subsistence farming to commercial agriculture.
- To initiate the formulation and review of the policy and legal framework for the sector
- To establish and implement systems for service provision in the sector
- To strengthen and implement strategies, regulatory framework, standards, institutional structures and infrastructure for quality assurance and increased quantities of agricultural products to access and sustain local, regional and export markets
- To design and implement sustainable capacity building programmes for stakeholders in the agricultural sector through training, re-tooling, infrastructure, provision of logistics and ICT
- To develop strategies for sustainable food security
- To develop appropriate agricultural technologies for improved agricultural production, productivity and value addition through research
- To develop effective collaborative