The mission of the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) is” to transform subsistence farming to commercial Agriculture”. One of the mandates of the Ministry is to ensure compliance of agricultural produce to the internationally accepted standards through enforcement of a number of legal frameworks.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries has received funding from the Government of Uganda towards improving compliance to market requirements of crop exports and intends to use some of the funds to hire staff on contract basis to support the Department of Crop Inspection and Certification in achieving this cause.
Applications are now invited from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the vacant positions of Agricultural Inspectors
These jobs will initially be filled on a two-year contract, but with the possibility of renewal on satisfactory performance, and funds availability.
Job Title : Agricultural Inspector
Department : Crop Inspection and Certification
Vacancies : Six (06)
Reports to : Senior Agricultural Inspector
Salary : Attractive
Contract period: Two (2) years (Renewable), based on performance and funds availability
The incumbent will be responsible to the Senior Agricultural Inspector in performing the following duties;
- Inspect and certify compliance of plant and plant products to laws and regulations
- Inspect plants and plant products moving in international trade
- Carry out interceptions/destructions and re-exportation of prohibited/rejected plants and plant products
- Perform preliminary pest and disease detection and pest exclusion at entry/exit or inspection point and enforce quarantines
- Inspect and verify seed and agricultural chemical imports
- Issue phytosanitary certificates and import permits
- Inspect plants during active growth, plant nurseries and plant products destined for export
- Carry out surveillance/monitoring of quarantine pests at entry/exit points and along the border
- Supervise prescribed Phytosanitary treatments
- Collaborate with other agencies at the entry points (Customs, UNBS, Police, Civil aviation)
- Carry out internal and open quarantine
- Any other functions assigned from time to time.
- An Honors Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Agriculture/Crop Science, Botany/ Zoology or any other closely related discipline from a recognized institution or university
- A post graduate qualification in any of the above fields from a recognized training institution is an added advantage
All candidates should send their written applications with copies of academic credentials, testimonials and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating contact details of (03) referees addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, P.O. Box 102 Entebbe. Uganda or hand delivered to the Ministry Registry located at Plot No.14 Lugard Road Entebbe
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: Friday 24th June, 2022 by 4.00pm