Animal Production & Marketing
The Department oversees animal production programmes and has responsibility for good animal husbandry practices.
The Mandate of the department of Animal Production and Marketing is “to support, promote and guide livestock production, processing and marketing to enable the country achieve and maintain quantitative and qualitative self sufficiency in animal products and by-products for domestic consumption, food security and export all achieved under congenial environment.”.
The overall objective is to support sustainable market oriented animal production and value addition for improved food security and household income.
The Key Objectives are:
- To review, update and formulate Policies, plans and legislation in regard to animal production and marketing;
- To supervise and monitor implementation of animal production and marketing Policies;
- Promote environmentally friendly and Economically viable livestock production systems in various eco zones throughout the country;
- To establish and maintain an effective animal production and marketing management information system;
- To provide technical backup and capacity building for animal production and marketing in local governments;
- To articulate National breeding policy consistent with the needs of animal genetic resources, conservation and sustainable utilization;
- To support the provision of sustainable services including market research for continuous National herd growth and improved animal production consistent with the prevailing Economic Policies;
- To advise on the establishment and maintenance of the appropriate infrastructure generally required for livestock production and marketing;
- To support use of improved stocking materials and sustainable natural resources management.
The Department of Animal Production and Marketing is one of the three departments of the Directorate of Animal Resources. The department has three divisions namely;
1. Dairy and Meat Division
- To provide high level technical support and advice on policy issues to co-ordinate dairy and meat production activities
- Offer technical advice on the improvement of beef production systems aimed at higher production in quality and quantity.
- To provide technical support so as to facilitate improvements in the quality and quantity of dairy/animals and their products
- To provide technical support so as to facilitate improvements in the quality and quantity of small ruminants
- To provide technical advice relating to poultry, pigs and rabbit, and their products improvements in the quality and increase in quantity of non-ruminants (pigs, poultry and rabbits)
2. Animal Nutrition Division
- To provide guidance and advice on policy and technical issues relating to nutrition, and utilization and water supply for livestock and to give support to district production officers so as to facilitate improvements in livestock production
- To offer technical support and advice on the sustainable utilization of the rangelands
- To provide guidance to national animal feed production efforts and give technical support to District Production Officers so as to facilitate improvement in livestock nutrition
- To provide technical advice and support supervision to the animal and poultry feeds industry at national and district levels and ensure supply of good quality feeds
- To provide technical support to District Production Officers so as to facilitate improvement in livestock nutrition
- To provide technical support to District Production Officers on animal feeding so as to facilitate improvement in livestock nutrition
3. Public Health and Marketing Division
- To provide high level guidance, support and advice on policy and technical matters regarding qualitative and quantitative production, processing and marketing of animal products.
- To initiate policies and supervise sustainable, cost effective and modern marketing system for livestock and livestock products including processing.
- To ensure quality hygiene and safety of livestock and livestock products so as to meet the required standards for human consumption
- To provide technical advice to farmers and traders and to enable them develop profit oriented enterprises while keeping within limits of the relevant regulations.
- To provide technical advice on policy issues and to coordinate regulatory activities and systems for hides and skins improvement.
- To provide technical support to District Extension staff as to facilitate improvement in the quality and quantity of hides and skins.
- Ensure that imported and exported products conform to the national and international health and breeding